Saturday, November 10, 2012

Gratitude Day 10 David


 Today is one month since I said goodbye to my dear friend, and I am so grateful for the friendship David freely gave. Goodbyes like this are beyond difficult.

I am so thankful for all the lessons I learned from David, and so blessed to have had him in my life. He taught me a great deal about love and life, even down to the day he died, as I stood there and held his hand, wondering why I deserved to be one of the people present with him.

 He was always willing to listen. He never appeared to be in a hurry, and truly was present in the moment. He loved people and he loved life.

 One really hard lesson that I have learned from this is to always take photos. I knew David for over a decade, and after going through all of my photos, I  discovered that I never took a photo with him. This is a regret I do not want to deal with again. Even if it may seem trivial to some, this really bothered me.  I realized how foolish it is not to take a picture just because you don't like pictures of yourself. Photos aren't just for you, they are also for the people you will one day leave behind. I really wish I had a photo of him and I know and I know I wouldn't care what I looked like.

I was lucky enough to be able to go through all of David's photos of his life as I scanned them into my computer to make a slideshow, and it was so comforting this past month.  Even more comforting, was watching the DVD he recorded of his experiences during WWII. It was an opportunity to spend one more time "talking" with David and I really needed that one late night this past month. David is who I am grateful for today. Thank you for being you, for serving our country, for loving unconditionally, for your smiles, your words,  a friendship I will never forget, and so much more!



Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment