Friday, July 6, 2012

Two Parties for Two Part 1


Tadpole's third birthday is in 18 days and I am seriously contemplating no party this year.  I am thinking  a family trip is what we all need more than planning, hosting, and entertaining.

Last year, when Tadpole turned 2, I had just completed the last 20 credits of my nursing program and graduated.  I guess I was so happy to be home that I just became consumed with party planning. On his actual birthday we had a little Winnie the Pooh themed family day. We went to see Winnie the Pooh (2011), (his first trip to the movies). Then we had a big Dr. Seuss themed birthday party for everyone (eventually I will post about this).

I wanted to make a beehive cake for the Pooh theme and came across one by Zoe Francois over at Zoebakes.com beehive cake (brown-butter banana cake and honey buttercream). I must say I set myself up for  a challenge with this one. Read the directions and you will see what I mean, browned butter, the real deal buttercream with the egg whites and everything, then make it into a beehive shape and create little bees to adorn it.  I have made cakes before, but I had no previous experience with cakes like this. I know I have some friends who would probably laugh at this, but they have 'cake training'.  It took me a long time to create this, but I was happy with the end result.







A little lopsided but I 'saved' it.

Wish I had learned about a crumb coating a LONG time ago. What a difference. 

Love these kids!






I purchased Winnie The Pooh cutouts in the scrapbook section of Michael's and added them around the beehive. 


I also made my own Tigger wrapping paper with orange paper and black tissue paper.


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment